View Single Post
      06-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I disagree with this statement. Well not the stament itself but the ASSUMPTION. The sensors used for the primary inputs for EDC are the three accelerometers, two front and one rear. Typically acceleromters are good at measuring ACCELERATION. Of course you can numerically integrate that signal and get velocity as well, if you have great equipment and/or DSP stuff and are very careful you can even get position information from an accel but it is tough. What is the point? The system is very likely position independent, i.e. meaning that the damping changes are based on instantaneous accelerations (or perhaps including some recent buffer/time history of what the suspension has been doing "recently"), nothing else. So the offset of the damper travel caused by a lowering spring should be fairly transparent to the control system.
Agreed, but not for the reason stated. Getting position offset from an accelerometer is trivial. Speed and distance sensors for running are based on foot mounted accelerometers and give fairly accurate results in a very complex environment (running feet as opposed to a rolling chassis). Dynamic position offset is not the same as static position offset and accelerometers wouldn't be up to detecting static offset and thus wouldn't respond to lowered springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
A small thought experiment can help convince you that this is correct. What about ride height variation caused by max/min load cases (i.e. fuel and 1 vs. 3 or 4 passengers and possibly cargo). There will absolutely be a large noticeable change is ride height based on min/max loads and guess what EDC system will work just fine with a damper "offset". It has to.

BMW may or may not tell us the truth on this topic. As well the spring makers like to do BS like call springs "EDC compliant". I have no solid proof but strongly suspect a spring that would work and feel reasonable on the car (i.e. slightly shorter and somewhat stiffer) will very likely not adversely affect the EDC systems function nor longevity.

On the ride height issue: I am pretty pleased with with the cars ride height and looks. The rear wheels (19's) fill the wells beautifully and perfectly IMO. The front look slightly less "right" to me but definitely not nearly enough of an issue for me to muck with it, decrease ride quality, increase scraping and generally make the car more track like and less daily driver like.
Bear with me here, I might have something wrong. The point of the suspension is to keep the car level (with respect to the road for ideal tire contact) yet still allow the tires to track the pavement (not too stiff, so the tires do not hop and/or the passengers don't spill their coffee). Controlled suspensions do this by adjusting damping as little as possible to achieve a level ride. If I have this right so far then to suggest this task can be done dynamically without knowing the spring rate isn't plausible. Spring rate, distance of spring from the c.o.g. and lateral rotational inertia are the three key system variables and changing any will cause the control system algorithms to be wrong. Those algorithms are undoubtedly based on a system model containing little more than those three system variables. The system would likely be wrong by a little bit for small changes in the spring rate but wrong is wrong and will have a negative impact on ride as considered "ideal" by BMW. There are no objective measures so we can't say how wrong or if it's detectably wrong. An owner might very well like the ride better and even drive faster with the suspension but that doesn't mean the EDC system is operating as designed. If the EDC works by changing duty cycles then new springs could conceivably wear out the system early. Conceivably isn't the same as definitely but so far no one here has posted any knowledge of how the dampers work. Somehow the normal setting results in damping that isn't the same as either sport (can be stiffer) or comfort. I would say that there is more than binary variability and thus the possibility that the system cycles (to effectively emulate multiple settings) or contains multiple settings. If it is switching damping rates more often because the spring rates changed the dynamics then that impacts long term reliability. Again no comment on the degree of impact, just that it exists. I'm not trying to scare anyone into not lowering their car. Just realize that it's an expensive (just guessing here) closed loop system and you are changing the variables and the warranty isn't going to cover any damage. Personally, I think that for small changes in the spring rate you'll be fine and not have a noticeable change in the life of the system or ride. But, I acknowledge that my opinion is not based on any real knowledge of the system and I've done enough controls system design to know it's difficult to predict what might happen when you don't know the details of the controlled parameters (three accelerometers positioned how, measuring what), the control surfaces (how do the dampers work) or the control algorithm (PID, sliding mode, fuzzy logic, yada, yada, yada).
Appreciate 0