View Single Post
      12-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #32
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My initial thoughts above that the power to weight ratios don't justify the observed difference were likely unfounded. Although seemingly a bit contradictory, the achieved performance figures are seen as quite realistic with some CarTest simlation runs. Although the rear weight bias likely helps improve results right from the dig, those results don't show up in simulation, offering only a mere 0.1 s total advantage by 150 mph. However, substituting the M3s worse frontal area and Cd we see a significant difference. Bruce - your guess was spot on. The 911 with the M3s aerodynamics would be 1.8 s slower to 150 mph. I don't believe Stickys speculation that the cars have any significant difference in drivetrain efficiencies, simulations matched these test results quite well with identical total losses 14% (1% auxiliaries, 13% total mechanical). What else is interesting is the difference the hp of the S model will make...

The S will likely achieve 0-60 in under 4, 0-100 in a shade over 9, 0-150 in under 23 and the 1/4 mi in about 12.2@116. It will be quicker all around than the M3, strip and track. But at $90k USD (base price with PDK and nearly no options) I'd still call it a drivers race and quite a poor performance to price ratio compared to the M3.
Appreciate 0