View Single Post
      03-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #2240
PSUWayne
Registered
Rep
Drives: '02 Dinan S 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
Why do people keep saying that?? If you really believe that, then can you tell me why BMW NA does NOT allow US dealers to sell new BMW's to Canadians? Is that not intervening in their "day to day operations"?

The plain fact of the matter is, BMW NA intervenes when it's in their best interest to do so, and doesn't when it's not. It's that simple. Although, I do think that it would have been in their best interest to intervene in this case. Their PR people probably didn't though.
I'm no auto industry expert, but the way I see it, the relationship between BMWNA and the dealerships isn't much different than, say a audiophile speaker manufacturer like Paradigm, and an authorized Paradigm retail store. The store has an agreement to sell and support Paradigm's products, but if the retailer pulls some shady tactics and overcharges a buyer, would you expect Paradigm to "step in" and resolve the dispute? No. They have nothing to do with setting the final sale price or the sales tactics used by their retailers.

However, I would expect that if I had a bad experience with an authorized retailer, then I should be able to report the incident to Paradigm so they are aware of it. After that, it's entirely up to Paradigm to decide whether my incident is the straw that breaks the camel's back and causes them to sever their relationship with the retailer. But if that happens, it's likely the result of many negative reports over time.

As for not allowing US dealers to sell to Canadians, I'm guessing that's not determined on a case-by-case basis. It's probably a precondition of being granted a BMW dealership. What I'm saying is, that's completely different than overseeing the day-to-day issues that arise at a dealership.
Appreciate 0