03-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #23
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth View Post
I think your comment is very childish and you of all people should roll with this discussion as Sal has made a bold statement and it would be to the benefit of the community to get a understanding of it. To state that methanol affects the knock protection is quite a statement would could do with a whole thread dedicated to it.

The only way I can imagine this to occur is that if methanol has different electrical properties to normal fuel and it changes the voltage between the gap of the plug and the ECU gets a wrong reading and thinks there is no knock when there is knock. This is highly unlikely in my humble opinion though but one possibility. If this is the case with car 2 which was tuned for the 91 octane on the SK2 kit but still broke the motor on the dyno due to the use of the methanol then surely a knock like that would be audible unless it was knocking all along and the dyno was the last straw or maybe the knock feature was removed from the software.

I am prepared to run a experiment on my S85 which also has a ion knock system and see how methanol will affect the knock readings. I will also try convince M&M to do the same on his S65. We both have flash tuning capability so it should not be so hard to do a Mythbusters test.

As a disclaimer and since I know the ban hammer is knocked around (excuse the pun) often I would like to say that I am a big fan of GPower and I think there S65 kit is the best of the four available and am even considering there kit of my S85 so in now way is this a bashing post.

Wow that sounds great! please keep us updated!!

Eugene

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0