Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The reply is mostly correct. What matters for acceleration is hp much more so than torque. Of course weight matters as well.

The M3's mere 295 ft-lb of torque is multiplied by about a 1.5 times higher transmission and final drive (ratios combined) meaning the effective torque compared apples to apples is more like 440 ft lb. Basically torque to the rear wheels is what matters and this figure is approximated well by by hp. Torque from the shaft simply doesn't matter except in terms of feel and low gear/part throttle, near bogging acceleration. Power to weight is the single best metric that determines the acceleration of a car and here the AMG just barely outshines the M3, both just a bit below 9 lb/hp. Of course the calculations/theory here are right in line with the observation, generally apples to apples, the E55 is a bit faster.

I'm not sure how many times this "lecture" needs to be repeated...
Jesus Swamp. You almost agreed with me there. Just cause we have the same birthday.

Despite the fact that my head hurts after reading it what you say agrees with the magazine test. It's not until the 1/4mile that the Merc starts to get the head. All the way to 100mph the M3 is ahead which is what I would have guessed. Oranges to Oranges I don't know what all these AMG drivers are doing on here instead of an AMG board. I can only assume that like our car, our board is just plain superior.
Appreciate 0