View Single Post
      04-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #31
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
...I agree on props to Ford (hell I might pursue a 302 in the future) but let's not forget...

5.0's are putting down anywhere from 375-395rwhp/360 torque
While Boss 302's have put down 410-415/355
Compared to an M3 340/250 range all on dynojet's.

These Coyote's have huge power/torque advantage and (depending on options) are lighter and have better brakes yet the lap times are very similar
Everything I've seen on the Mustang GT motor shows over 370 HP and less than 380, while in a minor quibble, I'd adjust your M3 figures to 340-360 HP, based on what I've seen and read.

The Mustangs are slightly heavier, typically somewhere close to 3660 or so compared to around 3600 for the bimmer.

As far as brakes are concerned, the Ford is only "better" in the sense that fade is not typically an issue, but overall braking superiority in a single lap might well go to the M3.

In my opinion, the M3 has an overall superior chassis compared with the Mustang, and when you combine that with better weight distribution and a more sophisticated posi, the M3 will definitely have an advantage coming out of corners, as long as you're running well into the right side of the tach. Single-lap braking might also show an M3 advantage based on the aforementioned weight distribution.

All of this data comparison pretty much comes into the "so what" area in my opinion. The point is, a Mustang GT is pretty close to an M3, performance-wise, which is worthy of kudos for Ford.

The Boss 302 LS? Definitely a better performer than the M3, but hell, it's a race car made street legal, and really shouldn't be compared to the M3 - except Ford said the M3 was their target car at Laguna Seca. Therefore, comparisons are inevitable, if mildly ridiculous.

Bruce
Appreciate 0