View Single Post
      04-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #38
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I felt your comment about it being amateurish still doesn't fit the bill due to the fact the race series was designed to keep the cars as close as possible to the original street cars, hence the low cost. However, very good teams as well as drivers participate in this series. For you to call it amateurish when drivers such as Scott Maxwell, Boris Said, Bill Auberlen as well as Joey Hand are involved in this series seems off base, well at least in my eyes.

Dave
Agree. Amateurish is just the word I chose for comparative purposes. I wasn't aiming to paint it completely worthless by any means--as you state there are some very good people involved. I also forgot about ALMS (happens when you spend many years in Europe), which is quite good. It's unfortunate our venues aren't the best. But again, we are getting better. In Europe, you can have tracks in the middle of nowhere and people will come (Spa and Nurburgring as examples). In America, we feel the need to bring the racing to the people, so we have many temporary street circuits or use the road course at an oval track (which I've never liked). In my opinion, proper race courses make for much better racing. The new Austin track will be the best thus far in the US as it will cater to high speed and both quick and less quick corners. Barbers is nice but lacks high speed. Same for Laguna Seca. We also need much wider tracks. All I can say is thank you Red McCombs!