View Single Post
      01-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #26
coaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
... the 335 engine had been detuned so it would not cast a shadow on the upcoming V8 M3 engine. He also said that they are having problems with the new M3 engine and itīs not putting out the power that they had predicted..."
Wow, if this is really true it validates my fear that the new M3 will probably underperform our expectations in the power dept. It also sounds like getting over 400 HP with a small V8 is hard to do (Lexus could barely do it and they had to go with 5 liters).

As far as the "detuned" 335i goes, I see it as good news. By the time the new M3 comes out I expect tuners to have solved the "detuning" issue giving us well over 400 HP with very little money. (Problem there will be how to get the rest of the car, ie. LSD and suspension, a little better.)

As I have said before, I expect the "properly tuned" 335i to be the toughest challenge to the new M3. It pisses me off that BMW is choosing to f*ck the performance of their 3-series car just so that it doesn't threaten sales of their upcoming and much more expensive M-car.
Appreciate 0