05-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #25
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Yeah, no doubt that's all true. But I rationalize it the other way just to make it work for me. But despite that, the newer models of the W211 are substantially improved. And yes, all new models (i.e., W212) will have better technology and (presumably/hopefully) a better build.

But car buying is such a subjective and individual choice. No one is ever being 100% pragmatic and rational. The car enthusiast world would no longer exist as we know it, nor would this forum exist, if that were the case.

I chose the W211 because it works for me, not because it was the "best" choice. And that's how we all buy cars. I thought of the S but it was too big for me and I couldn't rationalize (in my world view) spending that sort of money on a daily driver, either as a lease or a buy. I'd rather spend it elsewhere. And the SL doesn't work as a daily for me. And so I waited for the W212 to appear, and ended up with the W211. The E63 is my best choice for a daily.

So, we choose what works for us at any given moment in our history. Usually not rational and normally not very pragmatic.

As case in point, I have a 993 that I have considered selling for a new 997. It's not as fast as a 997, it's not as advanced as a 997. But I prefer the way it drives over the 997. Only because I like the "old school" P-car feel (I've owned them before); more raw and visceral to me. So, I'm holding on to it. But a lot of people focus only on the new stuff from Stuttgart.

Different strokes for different folks. Which is a good thing. Do what gives you, and only you, pleasure in life. That's all that matters.
+1 I agree with you, well written there

Just for the record, I also like some of the old stuff Afalterbach and Stuggart have produced.

The C32 AMG was one hell of a car, and I wouldnt mind owning that baby again as I had her a couple of years ago! She was a sleeper, dressed like a reg. c class, she would fly to 60 whenever i put the hammer down.

The other classic from stuggart is the E38 V12 750iL that we had a while back, I think the best designed 7 series period! and also drove very well for its technology and time. Not to say the 760 Individual is a slouch, but the degree of computer interference is much more evident in the E66 vs E38.

So you are absolutely correct, to each his own
Appreciate 0