07-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #58
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Windows sells more computer OSs than Apple, does that mean there's no point in selling 3rd party software to run on Macs? Of course it doesn't. There are PLENTY of Google and WM phones out there to justify the development cost. The fact that they're not currently the #1 selling mobile OS doesn't have anything to do with it.

The fact of the matter is the reason BMW is going with Apple is because of an agreement between the two companies, not because it makes the most sense.
No, but it's a generally accepted fact that there is less software available for the Mac than for Windows, and that there are far fewer hardware peripherals available. Why? Because when the makers of these peripheral products are faced with limited resources, a market of 90% is way more attractive than a market of 10%. Why would BMW be any different?

Apple has cornered the market on portable music / media players (much like Microsoft has cornered the market on desktop OS's). Don't forget, inside every iPhone is an iPod. Assume BMW are at a fork in the road... do they support the device that has 90% of the market or the ones that COLLECTIVELY represent 10%?

We all know the decision they made. I'm not an Apple fanboy, just a realist

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0