05-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #190
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
A Michelin engineer suggested this very idea:

"Are you running this tire size on all four corners? If so, then this applies.

The PSS has awesome compounds on it, so grip isn't an issue (esp in the wet). I've tested it against all the competitor tires, and there is nothing that beats in on a road course (or on a wet track). The problem that I think you are having is a vehicle balance issue. Those tires you have are designed for the rear axle of most split fitment cars. Because they mainly go on the rear, we make the tire give the car some stability. The bad part is that it makes the car understeer when you put it on the front axle. You will have good grip, but the car will want to understeer more so. This puts extra stress on the outside of the tire. Is the driver complaining about understeer?

If you can't change tires, you can play with the air pressures a little to help. Let me know where you are at and I can tell you what to do. Also, the driver will have to be aware of this and try not to punish the fronts as hard.

If you can change tires, I would suggest going to the PS2 that is on the front of the Dodge Viper (Michelin part # 84530). It's the same size that you are currently using. The compound on it is awesome and it's designed for the front axle. This tire will balance the car more towards neutral mid corner with it on all four corners. "
Well, I guess I can't question a tire engineer, but I really don't understand the response in this case. It sounds like he is acknowledging that a square setup will result in more front grip. But, then he talks about more understeer, which is exactly counter-intuitive, as more front grip is universally known to reduce understeer. Anyone have an idea about this? I'm planning on buying a set of PSS to run 275/35-18 all around, and this comment is very puzzling.
Appreciate 0