03-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #74
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopsandsounds View Post
I don't normally post on the 6MT/DCT threads, but I have a someone unique point of view of having lived with both transmissions, on the street and on the track. I went from a 11 E90 6MT to a 12 E92 DCT. I never thought I'd own 2 of the same car, but it just happened. I built both the way I wanted, and when it came time for the second one I decided to try DCT after being frustrated with the clunky 6MT implementation in the E90: wonky clutch position, rubbery shifter that's way too tall, lots of noise.

Although the 6MT purists out there (myself formerly included) will always have their gripes the BMW DCT is a gearbox that delivers faster shifts, better fuel economy, and an amazingly competent auto mode for when you end up sitting in traffic. The zero power loss upshifts and rev-matched downshifts are just icing on the cake, they make me forget rowing the gears and let me keep both hands on the wheel at the track.

For the way the S65 delivers power (slow and even until 5K then OMGHANGONIJUSTHITTHEREVLIMITERAGAIN) my opinion is that the DCT is the right choice for pretty much every circumstance especially track events/HPDE. At the track not having to reach down to shift constantly attempting to stay in the large but quick to rev and high RPM S65 sweet spot has allowed me to focus on driving, not shifting.
This are the right words.....100 % agreed !!!
Appreciate 0