View Single Post
      08-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #43
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
First of all, the brakes on the stock M3 are just fine. Street pads for a street car. What doesn't make sense?

I've read a lot of complaints about fading, and while track pads will cure that issue, if one knows how to brake properly, even the stock pads should be fine for 2-3 laps then cool down. Most people don't know how to brake properly from my experience. They either brake too soon or way too much - or both. And that WILL use up the pads a LOT quicker. Also having DSC/MDM on will work the brakes too. Bottom line: You should NOT have warped rotors after 1.5 laps. That's just bad driving IMO. Or you may think they are warped, when they just may have deposits on them. One or the other. In that case, either get track pads or improve braking technique. Don't complain about bad brakes...

Many good points in your post, but when he says "the ring", he may actually mean the Nordschleife.

Having said that, I read many posts about fading before taking my M3 to the track for the first time, and that had me worried. Actually, I only experienced serious fading once over the course of 10 20-min sessions. I slowed down for a couple of laps, and the brakes went back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
But in any case, the M3 is a STREET car. It's NOT a race car or a track car. People need to cut through BMW's marketing BS and realize this. But as a STREET car, it can be amazingly good for what it is. You just need to know how to extract the most from it.
I agree. People tend to forget that the M3 performs outstandingly in braking distance tests, and in the street or on the highway, that's what matters.

Last edited by drivendriver; 08-28-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0