08-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #31
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Hey Radix, I'm just curious...from your posts, it seems that you are quite a sharp knife, what's your occupation?
Thank you, I'm a Unix System Engineer by profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
If I encounter this problem on the GMAT next Wednesday, I'll probably do my best to eliminate the choices I know aren't correct and make the best guess since you only have 1.75 min per question. Haha.
Well, use Schoy's solution. Seriously, my solution made the assumption that only one other student from the group meant one specific person. His solution doesn't make that assumption, so Occam's Razor would suggest that his is the more correct solution.

His solution set:

Code:
BOxOL
LOxOB
where B=Bob, L=Lisa, O="Only one other student from the group"

I still have semantical issues with only one other person from the group actually being two people, but again Occam's Razor would suggest that his solution is more correct as it doesn't not make any assumptions.

My solution set would be:

Code:
xBOLx
xLOBx
LOBxx
BOLxx
xxLOB
xxBOL
in my case "only one other student from the group" means precisely that, in that it refers only to one specific person. Thus it is assumed that the only way for two people to sit next to only one other student from the group is to sit on either side of that one person. TBH, this is one of the most horribly worded word problems I've ever seen.

Last edited by radix; 08-02-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0