View Single Post
      01-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #78
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post
why? SO the engine is powerful, but the car retains stock weight. GTS is much more than powerful engine. It's like comparing a tuned engined M3 with M3 CSL - a dumb comparison at the end. Looks at the time difference of the E46 M3 CSL vs regular M3. day and night. GTS is in class of its own and some leather, fancy paint and extra 30hp won't change that.
I don't think that we are talking about the same thing. I do think that your example is dumb, though. This is one tuned 4.0L engine having as much power and almost the same torque as the ultimate 4.4L version of the same engine 4.0L, both versions made by the exact same manufacturer, BMW. Since the announcement of the GTS engine specs I have not been impressed with the power output of that 4.4L for the kind of ultimate M3 edition BMW was trying to portray and the money that they were asking for it, but that is me. And this South African version further undermines those 4.4L specs a little more in my eyes.

Now if you tell me that perhaps the GTS engine is tuned at that power level for better power and torque curves of that particular 4.4L displacement for this specific GTS application then we could have a much better discussion than just a "dumb" one.
Appreciate 0