09-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I feel a difference as soon as it cools down (night).
I suspect that what you feel is the cool air making the difference, if it were the scoops then you'd feel it all the time.

So it's raining a bit here in NY today and I took the car out. I noticed that any water surrounding/on top of the hood nostril was forced up/out of the opening, as there seems to be decent positive pressure from the box whilst at speed.

It stands to reason that the grill-scoops would help combat any negative pressure created at high rpm/load but I have a suspicion that they would work better if there wasn't a "leak" out the hood. I feel that the scoops are not so much a 'ram-effect', adding power, but work by reducing the vacuum of the airbox at high rpm/loads.

I would think that the best "intake-mod" for the car would be a scoop (something similar to an STI's hood scoop...obviously much smaller or a NACA duct which would be much more visually appealing IMHO) that would allow the hood nostril to actually function as a positive pressure influence on the box, instead of a negative pressure producer as itsits now.

Even a small lip at the rear of the opening would help reduce the vacuum-effect.

Now where did I put that fiberglass and resin...

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0