10-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Kielan
Private
Rep
Drives: Searching for a SGM 135i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mandy View Post
No...

Sell your E46 if the maintenance is draining your pocket and lease a Civic until you are done school...or borrow your parent's car.
It seems, from reading your OP, you are not financially stable yet (?)....will financing the 135i still allow extra money for you to have on the side for savings? Groceries? Bills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Sounds like a bad idea to me. I don't think you can count on your 300/month job and the internship to cover the costs associated with a loan and keeping up with the 135, not to mention your student debt and the costs of being a student. Yes, it is a newer car, but still out of warranty and the N54 isn't exactly the model of reliability. Selling one used BMW and buying another used BMW to save money on upkeep doesn't really make sense to me. Especially when all the money you make for the next year and a half or so is going to be used to pay for the second car.

What happens when the new car has some issues? Sounds like your parents can help you if you are in a bind, but that doesn't show them that you are being responsible. If I am you I either keep the e46 and continue to maintain it (sounds like with 6k in recent work it should be in perfect condition) or buy yourself something more reliable that will not require as much maintenance.

I would not have wanted to worry about a loan through my parents for a new BMW when I was in college.
Right on.

As far as maintenance costs are concerned I honestly wasn't concerned with it at all.

The 300/month + internship is guaranteed money. I'm a sales rep for Fortune Auto/Broadway Static suspension, get commission through that and money for photos on the side. Of course it's not guaranteed so I don't bank on it, some months are great and I clear 2k, others not so much and I make nothing. It really depends. However I do definitely understand and respect what you guys are saying.

As for my E46 being in near perfect driving condition. I lol'd, this thing is the most annoying thing ever.
I did:
Clutch
Intake Manifold gasket
All new vacuum lines
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Mass Air Flow Sensor
Lower Control Arm Bushings
Trans fluid changed
Shifter bushing
Transmission mounts
Valve Cover Gasket

This past August, and it still needs a lot more.
Appreciate 0