View Single Post
      07-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #9
porscheguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 93 RS America

Yeah, Porsche is doing a lot of things right...for their shareholders! Certainly, from a business standpoint you've got to give them a lot of credit. In most cases they are selling a relatively modest product at very high prices. As most folks know, they are doing well because they have adopted Japanese production methods, and because their racing heritage cloaks their products in a "mystique" that other brands don't have; however, they doing their darnedest to water down this image. In time, after their Le Mans victories are distant memories, consumers will identify Porsche with watches and handbags rather than performance and racing. Once the Panamera is released, they will be in heads up competition with MB and BMW, and their heritage of building exceptionally involving race-bred cars will be long gone. They already build trucks. They can do what they want, but there is a reason that air-cooled 911s are increasing in value. I'm holding on to mine. Don't get me wrong; the new Porsches are wonderful cars, but they all suffer from an identity crisis. They are not what they were in relative performance or driver involvement, nor are they very practical.
Appreciate 0