GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Dealer oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
I just picked up my car from the dealer after taking it in for an oil change between recommended intervals this morning. I paid $157 for the oil change and thought it was a decent price given what I've read on the board. But after driving my car around a bit I noticed that the oil level indicator was only half-full. That is the same level it was at before I dropped the car off this morning. Now I'm thinking that the dealer might not have actually changed my oil and oil filter! What's even more odd is that on closer review of the invoice, they charged me for 10 qts of oil. I thought that 9 qts should fill up the engine? In any case, if they really did add the 10 qts they charged me for, I would think that the oil level indicator would not be at half full. Am I jumping to conclusions too quickly? Should I see if the oil level indicator goes up after letting the car sit for a few more hours?

Is there any way for me to confirm myself that they actually did change the oil and oil filter? This is really bothering me now and if the oil level really stays where it is, I will never trust this dealer again.
Now if we had dipsticks, it would be easy to check the color! You could still jack it up and let a little dribble from the drain plug to check. If you have doubts, that may be the best way to put your fears to rest (or not).

It is highly unlikely a dealer would be that unscrupulous. Specified oil capacity is 8.8L or 9.3Q. If filled from bulk, the dealer may have measured in quarts, which could be rounded up to 10 for ADP. As far as the reading goes, anything from midpoint to 3/4 mark would be considered okay. All the way to the top is overfilled.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0