View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #81
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M View Post
It's just easier to drive day to day because you don't have to ring he neck out of the 6.3l engine. When you're paying for these cars, maintenance and gas really shouldn't be an issue for you.
P.S. I have friends with 63's that have gotten 10-15k out of their stock tires. It just depends on how hard you drive.
"ring the neck out of a 6.3l"

"10k" for tires...

I think you hit the nail on the head, you don't buy or consider a c63 a better "DD", the idea is foolish. Especially when comparing it to an M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
OK, your note made me chuckle a bit, but you deserve an honest answer.

First of all, what you're saying is that a Chevy Cruze is a better daily driver than either an M3 or a C63, because it's cheaper to run - and even better, also cheaper to buy. Neither the Bimmer or Merc are cheap to buy or run, so they're not good daily drivers?

Perhaps you now see where I'm coming from. For me a better daily driver gives the driver more smiles in that venue, regardless of running costs.

As for running through rear tires, I expect you've heard the expression "Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

My theory as to why C63s run through rear tires is the amazing responsiveness of the package, plus a wondrous exhaust note that is terrific even at idle but gets better and better with more throttle. These two characteristics combine to play a siren's song in the driver's brain. Driving this car makes you do lunging and pouncing in traffic and all day long, just to feel the torque and listen to the glorious noise. In other words, it isn't a technical issue at all. I believe one could get 20k out of the C63 rear sneakers - but not if you're a human being.

Near as I can tell, the M3 does nearly twice as well in terms of rear tire life, and that's due in large part because the magic happens way up there on the tach. Not routinely reachable in traffic and everyday driving. Of course, the M3 eats rear tires as well - just not as heavily as the C63 does.

OK, this was the part that got me chuckling. You're actually beating up on the Merc because it gets a combined 15 mpg vs the Bimmer's 16?

C'mon now, you have to admit that's pretty funny. Both cars are bad on gas, and the C63 is even worse than the M3, but only marginally.

And that's the issue, isn't it. I'm talking fun, you're talking money.

Bruce
This post is just so "Bruce". I'm glad you understand me, I just don't like the broad generalizations...

"Beating up on the Merc" - Don't mistake facts with a beating. You can't go around dropping statements like a C63 is a better daily driver than an M3. It's just a one sided statement that fails to yield to the whole backbone of a "daily driver" title which is purely economical.

Obviously, nobody buys a c63 or an M3 to be economical, as such, nobody should argue the point as it is subjective; but if you were, from a purely numbers perspective, an M3 would be cheaper to own.
Appreciate 0