10-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I bet there are as many stories as there are M3 drivers on this forum here my friend.

In my case I fell in love with the looks of a 2002 M3 e46 (that was back in 2004) when I was on a project on the west coast. Every morning I had breakfast at the same place for quite some time. After breakfast I would go next door and admire the fine BMW automobiles at the dealership while I smoked my cigarette. This was necessary since smoking in the restaurant and my rented car was no longer allowed

Well up to that point I did own 2 fine BMW cars one used and one still back home in my own garage that we purchased new in 1987 and was now going on in age. Naturally I had a good eye for those fine automobiles. One day the M3 I have been admiring for so many mornings in a row had a twin standing right besides it. So needless to say that evening I went into the dealership and inquired about price and a test drive. Well a few days later I test drove both cars and was done for. I simply had to have one of them. Both cars were in excellent shape, low milage, short 2 year lease returns and both owned by Doctors. I made an offer on the one driven by a Lady Doctor, the sales man assured me the car has never seen a track. We agreed on a price and I got a cheque certified by my bank then arranged for my e28 licence plate to be curried to me. Once I completed my project I drove my new found friend back home

Needless to say now I could smoke in my car (something I now have given up for the last 4 years) after returning the rented car to the airport

The e28 was handed down to a family member that car is being restored and will be 25 years old next year (a 535is came off the line in June 1987) and has served well over 250 Miles to date. The e46 M3 was sold last year and had close to 60,000 Miles on the odometer.

Since the e46 M3 I've driven two Z4's, however, while the Z4 is a fine automobile it is not a M3. So early this past spring I simply had to get back into a M3 the one I am driving now

Some say ... once a M3 driver always an M3 driver ... so my friend you simply have to take one or two out for a spin to see for your self ... Hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers, and ... Welcome to the Forum
Amen to that.....I had my dream car an E46 M3 Cabriolet with SMG back in 04 - 06...I had some health problems and also needed a larger vehicle to haul some toys and so I went till 011 w/out owning another M car.

I knew if I ever drove the E9x M3 I'd be smitten and so I never did -- till this past summer. 3 days later a Jerez Black E92 with DCT & ZCP was in my garage

It's awfully fulfilling and rewarding to be back in "the club" So yes, once and M3 driver always and M3 driver