View Single Post
      05-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #162
joema
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i sport, 5-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
I'm assuming (perhaps) incorrectly that the experience will be similar to DSG...I've always driven manuals and do not really like autos.
There's a natural tendency to equate the upcoming M-DCT with VW/Audi DSG systems tuned for family passenger cars. As you said, this is likely incorrect.

Depending on tuning and design, the driver experience from dual-clutch transmissions can range from "mild" to "wild". Dual clutch transmissions are being adopted in Formula One due to the performance advantage (see below). They call it the "seamless transmission", but it's really a dual-clutch system similar to DSG/DCT.

It seems very likely the e90 M3 driver experience using M-DCT will be similar to SMG III, but smoother/faster upshifts. It won't be like a sluggish paddle-shifted automatic.

There will likely be various driver-selectable shift modes, with the sportier modes being fimer/faster at the expense of smoothness.

My view is if paddle-shifted dual-clutch transmissions are good enough for F1, it's good enough for me.

http://www.autoracing1.com/rumors.as...&dend=05/10/06

Renault, Red Bull, to join 'seamless' club (GMM) Renault and Red Bull are next in line to produce 'seamless shift' gearboxes, as the technology becomes commonplace in formula one.

Ferrari and BMW-Sauber are also hard at work in designing versions, following the use of the first models at actual grands prix by McLaren, Honda and Williams.

A 'seamless' 'box is believed to be worth several tenths of a second per lap, with drivers able to change gear without the momentary 'blip' in power.
Appreciate 0