View Single Post
      07-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #108
PMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

The N52 engine block is formed in three complex castings consisting of magnesium and aluminum (magnesium upper and lower crankcases surrounding the aluminum center that contains the cylinder bores and coolant passages) - so it isn't really a magnesium alloy block. Either way, it isn't as if Magnesium hasn't been used before to lighten engines. The 1967 Porsche 911 R, designed as a racing version of the 911 S, was outitted with a magnesium alloy block instead of the usual aluminum block. I'm also not a metallurgist, but a quick search uncovered that aluminum, while strong, does not handle vibrations as well as Magnesium and is more prone to microfractures. It's possible that the N52 engine will turn out to be light but short-lived. On the other hand, it might be a technological breakthrough. I suppose we'll find out in a few years. Either way, I'm struggling to see solid examples of sacrificing quality components (i.e., metal) for lightweight but flimsy (i.e., plastic) in the 3 series. Using an innovative blend of aluminum and magnesium is exactly what I want in a car. Putting cheap plastic cooling components is not.
Appreciate 0