danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
My point is valid. BMW is the Target, has been for decades and other manufacturers take great pains to compare whatever the hell they are building to BMW...
Magazines have always said that, yes, but it's clearly a bunch of crap. You can't build a FWD car with 60:40 weight distribution, stick in a four cylinder or even a V6, and claim that BMW was the target. The first-generation Infiniti G20 was probably the first car that had some actual feel to it and looked kind of BMW-esque, but beyond that, it really was a half-hearted attempt at best. Similar story with the Maxima (four-door sports car?) from that era. The Lexus IS300 was really just a Lexified Japanese-market rear-drive sedan called the Altezza. But it had RWD and an inline-6, so at least it had a prayer of being comparable to a 3 Series.

Otherwise, who has really made BMW a target over the past few decades? Who has actually talked the talked, walked the walk, and completely and utterly failed? Can't think of too many examples. The same thing holds for Chrysler's vaunted minivans. The magazines went on and on for years about how no one else had figured out the formula. Please! Everyone knew the Chryslers were built on a car-based platform. Ford and Chevy were merely hoping people wouldn't notice that the Aerostar and Astro were just vanified trucks.

Today, there are plenty of cars with feel. I disagree with you completely about the 350Z. It feels great on a track at least--very controllable and communicative at the limit. The new G35 also feels very good--it's just a big ol' thing (really more of a 5 Series competitor in terms of size) and not as refined (kinda' choppy ride with a sport pak). The Miata and RX-8 are right in there when it comes to suspension and steering and kick the shit out of BMW when it comes to shift feel (engine-wise, I'll take the Bimmer's inline-6, however). The Porsche Boxter is untouchable (but it better be for the price), but even the lowly Honda S2000 would give a Z4 a run for the money if it had some torque (and it has literally the best feeling shifter on the market).

I won't call you a fanboy, because you're at least willing to admit when you're being subjective, but you're notions that BMW has feel that no one else can match don't fly with me. I grew up on Hondas, and there are certain things about the way Hondas feel that I've yet to see BMW match, especially when it comes to the shifter and switchgear. But do you really think BMW couldn't build a snickety-snick short throw shifter if it tried? The company clearly believes that's the wrong feel for a BMW, but I miss it. I also miss being able to blip the throttle with just the slightest nudge and have the revs shoot up enough for a perfect rev-matched downshift. BMW prefers that heavy-flywheeled feel, where you have to give the throttle a thorough jab before the engine responds.

Other cars don't feel exactly like BMWs because other car manufacturers think they know better, that their customers won't notice, or that it doesn't match their brand identity, not because they can't do it.

-Dan

Appreciate 0