View Single Post
      01-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #78
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Wow. Lot of info on this thread. Such a heated dispute.

I'm probably gonna introduce mine to it's full potential a few times at least during the break-in, not without being at temp of course. I think it's important to sort of "seat" the engine, for lack of a better term. I'll take it easy for the first few hundred miles definitely and with additional consideration of brake pads, other parts. And then I'll do the service around 1K miles or so.

I think the 1200-mile mark seems a bit arbitrary though regarding solely the engine. What if you never actually drive the car around? What if you just start it up every day in the driveway, run it to temp and rev it for a while like you would as if you were driving it around? Then do that for a few months. Because perceivably, at that point, it would seem you have a fairly broken-in engine. Yet, technically, you still have 1200 miles to go? So with that reasoning, to me, it seems like 1200 is sort of a "safety" number in regards to a point in time when ALL of the working parts are broken-in. I don't know. What do you guys think? I'm not nearly as knowledgable as a lot of you on this, so looking for input. Thanks!

-Travis

Last edited by thurston; 01-09-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0