Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I'm planing on connecting it using eSATA. Firewire800 is fine for 2 streams of HD footage, any more than that and you get lag. Since I'm editing 3-4 streams most of the time I need raid 0 and eSATA. I'm thinking of getting a 6Tb G-Raid but wanted to see if there's a better option.
A photog friend of mine bought one of those LaCie Quadras with 8Tb.
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11114

It looks sick and has full-on hardware RAID.

I set it up for him as hardware RAID0+1 and told him that his data is safe, but he only has usable 4Tb. A year goes by, and he forgets what I told him. One day he notices that he only has 4Tb, and goes all cowboy on his fucking DiskUtility. Starts formatting shit and deleting partitions.

After realizing that he has no fucking idea what he is doing, he calls me up and tells me to fix it. Apparently remembering that I told him that his data was safe. I had to explain to him that RAID is only there to protect from hardware failures, not human stupidity. After that I hung up the phone and laughed for about an hour.

Hardware itself it pretty bulletproof, though. Apparently he carries that thing with him all the time, for no apparent reason.

Or maybe its time to get the new MBP with Thunderbolt and some storage to match?

Last edited by solefald; 03-28-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0