06-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Huh? Because BMW simply offers a DCT the car is somehow less of a focused and pure drivers car? That makes zero sense... I could understand your comment somewhat (although not totally) if no 6MT was offered at all. I guess Ferrari, Lambo and Bugatti do not make focused and pure driving cars.
It is less focused because once you offer the automatic transmission, the car is more accessible to those buying it purely for the status or reputation. What these people actually want is a luxury car that people will respect as a sports car, not an actual focused sports car.

Consequently the modern M3 is not designed for the same customer as the E30 M3 was, which is sad for people like me who wish it was still designed with the same philosophy as the E30.

BMW decided to make these compromises for profitability, not to create the best sports car.

This holds true to Ferrari, Lambo and Bugatti as well.

I have no problem with the M3 as it currently exists, so long as BMW builds an "actual" M3 in the spirit of the original as well. Right now that is the 1M. Sadly they still missed the mark on the 1M by offering a standard off the shelf engine unbecoming of a true E30 M3 successor or any M car for that matter... otherwise I would be driving one.

I owned a Z4M coupe before my current E46 M3 so I surely go after the most focused offerings BMW has presented. It was a great car, but not practical for daily use like a car with a real trunk and backseats.

Last edited by HBspeed; 06-20-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0