09-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #244
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Ok, first of all, if there are any companies out there that ACTUALLY do R&D and spend the time and money on the products they make, Dinan and Akrapovic are probably two of the top ones, at least as far as our M3s go.
So are you implying that MRF *doesn't" do R&D and spend time and money on their products?

Quote:
Secondly, the Dinan x pipe is not only made in the US, it features larger piping and 4 very hefty resonators (i.e more material and more labor). That isnt to say its not overpriced, because it is! 2700 plus shipping, tax etc make it almost 3K and thats quite a lot for SS piping.
MRF's x-pipes are made in the US, as well.
Quote:
Seriously, that x pipe will not make any more appreciable power over an ebay x pipe that sells for 500.
Do you have any dyno proof of that or is that just speculation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Plus, the dinan is rare and will always be sought after because of who makes it and what is it and thus retain value.
The MRF x-pipe is rarer than the Dinan setup. But I could honestly care less about that. I'm more interested in performance, and we have 2 independently dyno'ed cars that are putting down excellent power by switching to that pipe.

Given all of that, is $2k steep for an MRF? Yup. Just like $2600 is steep for a Dinan. And whatever AK charges for an X-pipe. But as the OP states, he went from an AK X-pipe w/100 cell cats to the MRF catless, and he picked up a substantial amount of power. When asked about a catted MRF pipe, Malek advised that there was minimal power loss when they R&Ded it. Given that, I'd have to say the power gained over the AK has less to do with cats vs no cats.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 09-19-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0