View Single Post
      05-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #57
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I'm saying I would take a flatter torque curve, at the expense of a higher peak value, any time, any day, including for track use.
Quote:
Sure. But then the torque curve would not be as flat, so they made the decision to go super-flat and that's what you are seeing in the S65.
Quote:
Sure. But then the torque curve would not be as flat, so they made the decision to go super-flat and that's what you are seeing in the S65.
You've made yourself quite clear on this point, and in fact I agree with you in general - but I guarantee you the specific case I made in regard to the current M3 would result in a quicker and faster car at the track - with no ill effects in everyday driving.

Does it need to be quicker and faster? Not in my opinion. I'm simply making the case that a flat torque curve is not necessarily the ne plus ultra of engine design, and offered an example of how an arguably terrific engine could be even better.

Quote:
I'm also saying that you make it a much bigger issue than it is.
Not my intent at all, but perhaps I have. Between us, we certainly have made it an issue.

On the tech side, I have written about how I never noticed any sort of low-end "soft" spot in my initial test drive. I had to deliberately test for it. Others have expressed their dissatisfaction with the low end performance of this motor, but for me, not a significant issue. Compared with a C63, it's a little soft at the low end, but the aggressive gearing means driving around that "issue" is pretty much automatic on the driver's part.

Quote:
Again, you may not like it, and bitch & moan at every opportunity, but if it doesn't bother an actual owner (me) who uses his car on and off the track, why would it bother you?
"...bitch & moan at every opportunity..."?

Again, I'm quite sure I've written more flowery words of praise in regard to this engine than you have, and have said on a number of occasions that's it's a terrific powerplant - in an arguably terrific car.

A few months back, I wrote an in-depth comparison between these vehicles ("The Snake", and "The Mongoose"), listing the strong and weaker points of the cars in my experience and opinion. The upshot was that they're both terrific, and if I were offered my choice, I'd pick the M3 based on the fact that I haven't matured enough to enjoy driving an automatic.

Quote:
Well good thing you went with a C63, it's much lighter.
I'm guessing either a reading or memory problem on your part. As I've mentioned more than once, this is my son's car. I've messed with it while he was away in Afghanistan, under his direction with my advice, and it was a genuine pleasure to do so. Now he's back, and as I type this, he's just driven off, touring the country on a five week leave before reporting back in as XO of a combined Navy/Air Force base outside of Fort Worth.

I've also previously mentioned that I admire both the C63 and M3, but neither fills me with lust. Just not my type of car. The C63 is automatic only, and I admit I am saddled with prejudice in regard to the current M3 because of my previous experience with the last two that have graced our garage. I found that the 2004 E46 was a better car than the 1995 E36 in nearly every way, but because of size and weight, it just wasn't as much fun to drive.

Because of the engine, the current model is as much fun to drive as the E46, but still, I can feel the size and heft, both of which just bother me.

YMMV. Plenty of people think the current car is as good as it gets in today's motoring venue, and I don't think they're wrong. It just that I can see how the car could be better, and have mentioned how.

Fanboys think that's bitching and moaning.

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 05-05-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0