View Single Post
      11-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
CliffJumper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Finally! I found wheels from another BMW that fits! (I think)

As some of you might recall in previous threads, I have been looking for a cheap set of winter tires/wheels. Since I will only use them for 5 - 10 days per year, I didn't want to buy a new set, and everyone selling a used set off of an M3 was charging an arm and a leg.

So, after looking around, I finally found a set of rims + tires that a guy was willing to sell a set of winter wheels/tires off his E39 (2003 540i sport) for $550 (local pickup). I checked the wheel manufacturer's website (which formerly showed 18" options for M3s, but only 20" now), and it showed that the offsets for my E90 M3 were the same as a non-M E39. I wasn't completely sure if it'd work, but at that price, I figured it was worth a try.

Wheels are TSW Nogaros with fairly new Continental ContiWinter Contact TS810S tires (235/40 R18 all around, despite diff wheel widths).
Front: 18x8", +20 offset
Rear: 18x9", +20 offset

After keeping in storage for 6 weeks, I finally tried them on today. Everything seems to fit well, with no rubbing (I turned the front wheels lock-to-lock). The closest thing to rubbing was on the front wheels. There's only a small gap around the brake caliper, and when the wheel weights go past the caliper, I barely hear a faint rubbing sound.

I THINK I'll be okay, but just to check the collective genius of this forum, is there any chance that the calipers will expand (due to heat to cause any problems)? I plan on getting the wheels rebalanced and moving the wheel weights so they're not in the way.

Anyway other than that question above, I mainly wanted to post that YES, you can CAN use aftermarket wheels from other Bimmers and save some $$$.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0