View Single Post
      02-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Why is it people always say something offensive before they say 'no offense'? Is this how we rationalize being assholes to someone we don't know?

I'm not worried about it because if it was major bearing wear, I'd see a far higher copper content. I think it's probably a contaminant or the fact that the oil was changed at such a long mileage (increasing the ppm). The fact that i'm running 0w40 mobil1, I'll expect to see a lowered lead content if I'm correct. The report doesn't express any alarming text and from the data I've seen researching this subject, I don't see it as any immediate cause for alarm.

All the gloom and doom I see about bearings made me think my motor was already dead with this kind of mileage. There may be some wear, but it's nowhere near as bad as I expected (crazy amounts of copper content, etc). For 72k miles on an engine, this is about what I would expect for normal wear.
Pretty much everyone that has responded is trying to help you rather than being an asshole. You'll see copper when the lead has really worn down, then you'll start seeing both. And if this is not a fluke reading, you are well on your way. You've got FOUR times the average reading when it comes to lead.

This is not doom and gloom. I'd rather be cautious about it, because the consequences of getting it wrong can be catastrophic and expensive. FYI, this is what my readings were:

To consider supercharging your car without considering swapping out the current bearings is just absolutely crazy. Good luck regardless
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0