View Single Post
      05-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Ground Control Spring Coilover Kit REVIEW

I had the H&R (softer version) springs on my car for 6 months.
I have had the GC CO Kit for 3 months now (I have the shorter front spring version = more for track/handling)... so this review is really comparing the two back-to-back.
But for those who are curious about OE to GC Kit = Just find a review of the OE EDC setup vs. the H&R Spring Kit and you'll have a good idea.

STREET (THE GOOD)
- Better handling at low and especially at high speeds
- long 45mph 180 degree off-ramp @ 1.04G
- More predictable bump/pothole negotiations

STREET (THE BAD)
- Changing the EDC settings makes less difference and is more subtle
- NVH goes up a bit (more noisy over low speed bumps)
- Definitely more of a rough ride (you feel every bump and pothole)
- Not for people that are looking for close to OE comfort.

STREET (SUMMARY)
It performs very much like a 'real' C/O Kit and in that sense is a budget version of a C/O Kit with similar performance.
I think you would only benefit (in handling) from better/faster shocks which is the only thing missing to make this kit a full C/O Kit.
If you are a performance handling junkie (like most who buy this car) then this kit is for you. Be prepared to pay the price of comfort = it's livable but it depends on your personal ability to put up with it. And even a track rat like me gets annoyed at times.

TRACK (THE GOOD)
- Handling is much improved in EVERY area
- Brake dive is reduced. Body-Roll is minimized and predictable.
- Mid-Corner balance is a revelation: Its hard to imagine but you can really throttle steer this 4000lbs monster through mid-to-high speed turns and correct bad trajectories easily.
- Very predictable and consistent

TRACK (THE BAD)
- For a heavy car you really need more spring rate and faster reacting shocks, but this is as good as it gets if you plan on keeping the car street livable.
- At handling limit, you can start to feel the car's OE rubber bushings moving around a little (not as bad as the e46m3, but it's there)
- EDC makes little difference but I run with it on stiffest setting. If anything, one might argue that the softest setting might yield better results - as the shocks get to work more under stiffer springs.

TRACK (SUMMARY)
This is the best kit for a certain demographic of M3 drivers: The ones who want to keep driving this car on the street occasionally (weekend/2-3 weekdays) - but be more competitive at the track and have more predictable, handling fun.
Of course better shocks (Moton, Ohlins, JRZ) will yield better results (especially low and highs speed adjustable 3-way+) .. but the price you pay both financially and comfort, at that point, your better off building a full-race car.
So this is the best compromise IMHO and @ a seriously FAIR price = $900

If anyone needs help purchasing and/or installing this kit = I know the best place in all of SoCal = PM me

Thanks - hope this helps
Appreciate 0