11-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #33
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Of course traction control doesn't guarantee 100% that you won't be going off the track. Traction control can't prevent an extremely stupid mistake but it can make it look less stupid. I didn't say it earlier but guess I will go into it now, there are reasons why I kept traction control on. Firstly keeping traction on to me means that I am not confident enough as a driver to have it off, due to that it also means I am not pushing my car as hard even with it on because I don't know my cars limits. Thus there is a low chance of me going off the track unless the car ends up hitting oil or debris and loosing complete grip, since I am not going into corners as fast as I can and I am braking more than I need to before them.

Well seems like the rules are flexible then because at the last streets event there was one car that completely went off the track and he wasn't able to get back on due to a popped tire. They did not close down the track because of him, I remember passing his car sitting in the dirt multiple times during one of my sessions. It was probably out there for more than an hour. I then saw his car later on with a small donut / spare wheel so either he did get towed off or they let him sit there until they were able to put his spare on and he drove off.

I wasn't stating that I didn't put my hook on because I don't want to follow the rules, I stated that I didn't like the look of it and I was confident enough that I wouldn't go off track to the point where I would have to be towed. Of course if it did happen I would have been prepared for the consequences but I am also confident they would have let me just put the hook on from my trunk.
I'm not going to argue with you, and by your response, it seems to me that you didn't completely understand the points I was trying to make.

I'm not going to discuss this any further with you online.

Just a couple quick comments: it's a case by case basis, but if the car went off and it was mutually agreed that it was safer keeping the car there, then that's why they left it there. Case by case basis.
And I don't care about you leaving TC on or not, I see no reason why you even went into it.
The fact that you didn't put it on just cause you didn't like it... is possibly the worst excuse out there...
Sorry cooler, but you've only been to 1 track day. Unfortunately, you really don't know what can go wrong. I am glad to hear there were no major accidents that day at SOW, but I have seen some bad accidents.

OC3 was there with me that day a Porsche was totaled. I believe he was also there at big Willow when a s2k flipped and was totaled.
But I am happy it was a safe track day
And remember: I'm not trying to be an ass

Last edited by persian54; 11-10-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0