Thread: HRE R40
View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

You seem to be taking this to heart. Are you connected to Apex in some way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You guys realize it's a track wheel and most track guys don't care about looks nearly as much as the typical owner???
Your point is? The OP didn't say he was necessarily going to use the wheels for the track. If he claimed that they were going to be a track-only wheel I may have adjusted my response slightly but not much. Taking looks out of the equation, it's hard to refute that HRE and Volk make a higher quality wheel than Apex. Apex is not trying to compete directly with those brands. They are making a low cost wheel, cast aluminum, made in ???. I have had all three brands and the finish and build quality are superior on HRE and Volk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I'd also like to hear why the HRE or even VOLK wheel is a superior track wheel? I know it's not forged, but it's about 20 lbs for M3 fitment, JWL/VIA certified and about half the cost. Not to mention, I haven't seen one destroyed yet.

As for looks, I'd say the EC7 is a better looking wheel than the HRE, IMO.
Forged, proven history, great customer service, higher quality materials and finishes. BTW - Many people would argue that Volk is superior to HRE considering their history and forging technology. As I mentioned in my post, HRE will repair a wheel for a fair price. Even if you don't care about looks, you may want to repair a wheel if it is scratched on the track (HRE won't repair bends). I have had cheap wheels and expensive wheels. I have universally had better results when purchasing higher quality products. That being said, I might consider giving Apex another try for a track-only wheel. I'm not saying they are bad wheels, but I am saying that they are not in the same quality category as HRE and Volk.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0