NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Oh I wasn't meaning on saying that Nivedh was wrong. I was just letting people know of what it takes to do it. I know Nivedh can do the job. But wasn't meaning anything bad towards him.

Eric
You're right Eric - it does take about 2 hours total if you take your time and let everything drain out, clean up, and everything. For the average person who doesn't want to get their hands dirty, $40-60 for the labor may be perfectly reasonable. For gearheads like us, it might be worth it to do it ourselves, possibly because we don't trust other people with our cars.

For a first-timer, it will take more than 45 minutes. The oil filter gaskets are a bit tricky the first time. And, of course, getting the car up in the air safely is very time-consuming without a lift.

On a side note, I installed a Fumoto valve on my N54 to make it much simpler and cleaner. I am not sure if they make one compatible with the S65 drain plugs that face downward or if there's enough room down there such that it doesn't protrude (it would be bad if you hit it on a speed bump, for example).
Appreciate 0