11-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #103
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Audi and BMW do not really want to sell diesels, People who would buy diesels obviously are cost conscious, if the price of gas is an important factor when you buy a car, are you going to buy the most expensive one?? that is why the 335d did not sell well, I can also predict the same fate for the Active Hybrid...

Looking at Audi's plan, they are going to release diesel engines in the A4, which I think would be their prime market, last with the next gen model... (after A6,A8..)Way to go.

If you want Diesels to be popular, they have to be available on your entry level cars it's that simple. My next car will be an oil burner, depending on how BMW Canada is going to roll out here, I might go to Mazda as an other option.
I don't agree with your first statement. I had the choice to buy any of the X5 variants and chose the diesel for what the engine provided relevant to where we live (ie. the torque and it's delivery combined with doing mainly highway driving). It had nothing to do with price. I'd buy a 750 diesel if they stuck the M50d engine in it from overseas as well.

The cheaper cost of premium diesel and improved fuel economy is a "nice" benefit of choosing this engine, but not the driving factor around choosing it.
Appreciate 0