08-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
Anyone know of any good shops in town that powder coat wheels?

I tried calling a few places so far:
1. Keystone auto - doesn't powder coat
2. SVE Auto in Broomfield - doesn't powder coat
3. Tru Design - will powder coat for $165 per wheel.

I'm just looking to see what other shops might be out there or recommended?
I've used Applied Plastic Coatings in Wheatridge on a number of occasions for wheel powdercoating, as well as ceramic coating exhaust manifolds and piston tops.

http://appliedplastic.com/

303-424-9200
Applied Plastic Coatings, Inc.
5000 Tabor St.
Wheat Ridge, Colorado 80033

Their pricing is competitive. They will give you a better price if you bring in a job for coating more than one set of wheels at once (in the same color). I would rate the quality of work I've received from them over about a decade at between 7.5 to 9 out of 10. That's not bad—if you're picky about details like me, it's very hard to find any place that consistently does work that completely satisfies you, regardless of whether we're talking about a service shop, a body shop, a window tinter, or a powdercoater.

Also, if you care about wheel weight, you should mention that you'd prefer the minimum amount of powder applied that will provide adequate color consistency, and not to bother coating the insides of the wheels (the part that won't be seen once the tires are on)... if the powder is laid on really heavy, it can add a substantial amount of weight... over 1/3 of a pound in one example where I weighed the wheel before and after—and that was on a relatively small 17" wheel.
Appreciate 0