View Single Post
      04-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #36
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Great write-up Footie, much appreciated. I'd love to drive a Cayman S at some point in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
I understand and agree with you regarding the Cayman's handling dynamics.

However, I DO like "excessive amounts of power". You can always modulate excessive with a sensitive right foot and reasonable reflexes. I like that about M cars. I'd probably take a Z4M over a Cayman S because of the car's character.

Is the Cayman a superior piece of engineering? Probably. Is it faster? Definitely for a novice driver, not so sure for an experienced driver. Is it more fun? Not for me.

However, I have to say that I did drive a Lotus Elise at the track and loved it. If anything, that thing is even better balanced than the Cayman and has less power. However, its total lack of creature comforts and overall "rawness" made me love it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
On a technical course it will take a Z4M apart, piece by piece. Even on the Nurburgring which is a power course it will destroy the Z4 and probably the M3 as well.

The Elise is special but then it's that very exclusive car that caters for a certain type of person that isn't remotely mainstream, that is probably why you liked it so much. The Elise is all about fun regardless of track time and it's playful even at moderate speeds which isn't usually the case in sportscars, such is it's choice of rubber and the way it's been setup.
BMW-M-Mexico's point is not about the performance or the times, it's about the experience. Who cares if the Cayman is slightly faster if you're having more fun in the M Coupe? It all comes down to preference. I know I had a blast in the M Coupe at the M Driving School because of the ease in which I could throw the tail out and catch it.
Appreciate 0