View Single Post
      09-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Oil Gauge - Don't know which reading to believe!

Hi Guys - I need some help. I am not sure my oil gauge is working properly. Let me start off by stating I have 5000 miles on my car since the 1200 mile service and I have never added any oil. Also I have noticed in the past that on the interstate the oil gauge will drop a tick or two. However, I have read on this forum that the gauge is most accurate when reset with the car on level ground and not moving. Using this method it has always read full for the past 5000 miles.

Today while on the interstate I received a warning that I needed to add 1qt of oil. When I arrived at my destination I reset the oil gauge to double-check and it read full again. WTF? On the way back home the oil gauge was reading full and suddenly dropped down all at once to state I needed to add a quart. However when I got back home and checked the oil in the garage it again went back up to full.

So what the hell do I do? I could understand a slight difference between readings while moving and while stopped but not a whole quart. I don't want to drive a quart low but don't want to add oil when I don't need it for obvious reasons.

Can anyone describe how this gauge actually gets its reading? I think I am going to drain all the oil out and check to see how much is actually in it. That is the only way I really know how to figure this out. Think the gauge is faulty or have others seen this same thing?

This by far is the worst part of the car!

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0