03-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #255
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
From a structural and quality standpoint there is NO difference between the 20X10.5, and 20X11 wheel - the only difference is the paperwork.
^Patently, unequivocally false.

This is what happens when you let non technical folks make statements on technical topics.

This also gets to one of the issues discussed by a few in this thread already.

Now I would be a fool to argue that the exact same wheel design that passes a TUV test with some considerable margin of safety would likely fail if simply made in a 1/2 inch different width. Any betting man would bet that it would indeed pass. However, to answer this question without doubt takes either real engineering or real testing or both. Again the engineering should be done by a degreed and experienced Mechanical Engineer. Where does one draw the line? 1/2", 1", 2", 4" of width, 5 mm of offset or 75 mm? See the point? Sure testing the wheel that appears to have the most material removed from the forging at the highest possible load rating is a pretty decent approach but there is always a judgement call involved with such an approach which should ultimately be made by an Engineer. The potential for a slippery slope is simply too great. Like brakes and tires, wheels are critical safety items in a car. One who cares about performance, quality and safety should do some of their own investigations about the company they may send their money to.

One must find a balance between excessive and perhaps wasteful type testing and certification and reckless abandon. Unfortunately there is a very large grey area in between. I am comfortable letting a sharp, degreed and experienced Mechanical Engineer turn that grey area to 99% clear with his/her judgement, without formal type testing/certification as long as a very similar wheel in that line has it.

BTW, just FYI, my degrees are Physics and Math and I have worked as a Mechanical Engineer doing work quite similar to wheel engineering.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0