11-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #108
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black

The Coil Pulling Tool

Alright,

First and foremost the tool was a complete success. It was a snug fit for sure so I may adjust the tolerancing slightly +.005" but as you will see in the pictures I post tommorow it worked perfectly.

It has pretty much the perfect clearance to be able to get to even the back coils and still remove them the surface area is plenty to get enough leverage on for pulling them out by hand. It was also helpful when pushing the coils back on as it gave a good rest for the heel of the palm to be able to push them back in securely.

Total time for me from start to finish was 1hr45mins and I took my time and didnt rush.

Once I has pulled all the coils off one side I removed each plug individually and replaced each plug and torqued it before moving on to the next.

The 1hr 45 mins included removal, moving and replacement of all parts involved.

Being a very competent mechanic having raced shifter karts for ten years on and off, and having also spent a season with Risi Competizione as a race mechanic in the ALMS on the F430GT I may be more experienced than most. However the tool did work and did not give me any reason for pause whatsoever. If I was really trying I think under an hour would be easy.

Maybe I should see if BMW wants my tool? lol

As for the car...the original plugs had 42000 miles on them so they needed to be changed...she is definitely smoother and revs with more urgency across the entire rpm range and start up is smoother.

Very happy with the results.

I will order the 20 of the tools on Friday.

Price will be $35 shipped. Once I get confirmation of ship date I will being contacting people for payment.

Thanks

TxStig
Appreciate 1