United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY13E92M3 View Post
Now that the third person has asked how much my M3 cost, I tell them to guess and they lowball her at $40k.
Here's my translation of what's going on in their minds: How much of an asshole are you?

Most people, whatever their income, don't spend a lot on their car(s) -- especially if they have kids. They get the minivan, Subaru, Toyota, whatever, and judge you for not doing what they do. If you spent a lot, that makes you an asshole in their mind, especially if they're envious. If you didn't spend a lot and got value, that makes you smart, you beat The System. The lowball guess is a courtesy, especially since the car isn't flashy like a Lambo or big like an Expedition.

Layered on this is the attitude many people have that BMWs are somehow expensive and ostentatious, even if you get an old one. Some years ago, my friend bought an 8yo E39 530i for 15k, and people who were spending 30-45k on their minivans and SUVs were judging her for being indulgent. Tribal attitudes are very odd sometimes.
Appreciate 0