01-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
But keep in mind, Honda/Acura has never made a car with more then 6 cylinders. So the cost of making a V10,that also high revs, is gonna hike the price of the car dearly, above 100k on MSRP.
on the contrary, Honda had plenty of experience building 3.0L V10's in Formula One prior to the switch to 2.4L V8's. granted your statement is correct regarding Honda's production vehicles, but Honda will undoubtedly make use of their F1 experience and technology to build the next gen NSX's V10 if in fact a V10 will be the powerplant. just look at the newest BMW M5 and M6. the development of S85 V10 was strongly influenced by BMW's F1 program...of course they wound up with cars that fit your description exactly - high revs and high cost. therefore i don't think the high cost will come from the "tons of R&D" they'll have to do, b/c most of that was accomplished during the F1 era when small displacement V10's were used. i'd have to guess the bulk of the cost comes from simply trying to incorporate F1 technologies into street a legal car, rather than the R&D itself. i just pray it won't be much more expensive than the last NSX.