Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
I can guarantee that the new M3/M4 will be a good deal faster in every possible category from out e9x. The e9x will always have the sound benefit in my eyes and most likely the majority of people. What I am worried about and what not a lot of people are mentioning is the electronic steering. I am not against the electronic steering as I love it in my 991s. Just from BMW current models their electronic steering is terrible. While it's slightly improved on the M5/M6 it still detracts so much from the driving feel. Traction is something else to consider having all that power is nothing if you can't put it down. While I am sure the tcs system will stop you from going into a tree I don't want any ass end kick out while going through the gears. When I test drove the M6 the ass end kicked out in each gear with the tcs still on. For me this is a waste I would much rather have a lower hp/tq car that has the abilities to keep all the power to the ground.
I second the concerns about the EPS. BMW has done a poor job with its current EPS. In fact, I was not impressed by the EPS in the current Porsche Cayman either, which I wrote about in another thread. I don't like EPS in general, and neither do most motoring magazines.

My E90 has the Benvo Servotronic tune, which has made the very good HPS superb---greater weighting, feedback and feel. Is it a Lotus or Evo--no--but it will be better than the new M/3/4, unless BMW has devised a totally new EPS system that is as good as HPS. I doubt it.
You pick out "lotus or evo" as examples of top class steering. Lotus with its unassisted steering in the elise and exige doesn't surprise me, but I've never heard of the Evo being held up as the standard for steering feel.

I've borrowed an Evo X a few times (regular street use, no actual performance driving with it), and while I thought it seemed like a cool car, I wasn't particularly impressed with the steering. I personally thought it seemed more numb than the E9X M3, but I wasn't surprised by this since I expected some loss of steering feel due to the AWD nature of the vehicle.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting it's bad in any way. I had just never heard this out forward as a consensus opinion. Did I miss something here?
Appreciate 0