View Single Post
      05-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Thats what I currently use. So I think I can chime in here.

I first thought that it was an ok camera. I did a mistake in my purchase tho. I bought the $1699 kit which included the 18-105 and 55-300 lenses.

I was thinking it was just ok because I was using it inproperly and I was using it mostly with the 55-300; which is the poorest lens I ever owned. DONT buy that! Its $400 wasted. The kind of crappy lens that I will probably end up being stuck with; unable to sell.

Then I began to learn my camera and all its options and began to use it more with the 18-105. This is where it really started. The 18-105 is an aaaamaaaazing lens for $400. VERY sharp and very wide for a kit lens.

For a grand, you get a very complete camera which can do everything you could ever want it to do; From HDR bracketing to Interval shooting.

The only thing I find it lacks of is that the bracketing is limited to 3 shots; up to +2ev. Some camera now can go up to 9 shots. But maybe that wont affect you if you're not that much into HDR.

A big plus of the D7000 is the continuous mode that can shoot up to 7fps (!!!) and got a 11 shots buffer. With a proper memory card the buffer empties very quickly so for sports or car race photography, this is THE camera. A 45 shots sequence takes 11 seconds; which is very good.

Also, the provided straps are crap; either Canon or Nikon. Check on ebay and find a neoprene kinda strap and your neck will thank ya. Paid maybe $3 for both of mine, shipped.

Sandisk also developped a memory card specifically for that camera and is the only camera that is faster with a UHS-1 card then a class 10 card. All the others got the same kind of results with both. So you'll want to get one of those. (SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s) Dont cheap out on memory cards. I lost precious shots doing so because i did the mistake of continuing to use my old Class 6 cards from my previous D5000. Get at least a 20mbs class 10. UHS-1 is the best.

Another BIIIG plus is that chinese manufacturers made every accessory replica possible. So I bought everything from china (from remote to extension tubes) and kept my money for the lenses. For a D7000, you may want to consider a battery grip instead of buying additional batteries. But buy a third party ($50), dont waste your money on a nikon grip ($300).

And lastly, when you're ready for more, and really want to get razor sharp pictures with this camera, get non-DX lenses. The only exception would be the 18-105mm which is a good lens for the price, and you'll need one of those all the time.

So when you're ready to go a step higher in sharpness, save your money for the ED lenses!

When you get it, you will want to surf on those websites that I love to learn basic stuff and also some tips you do not always naturally thing of.
www.improvephotography.com
www.digital-photography-school.com (Thanks to dcstep for this one!)

GET IT! And enjoy that new passion that will soon hit ya

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0