01-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #80
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Remember that the average military member makes less than his civilian counterpart in the economy and as of lately suffers multiple disruptions in his life and that of his family's all for the sake of serving/protecting something higher than themselves.
I'm not attacking the military sales' program (though I'd be curious to know about its history, and does it apply, for e.g. to Aussies / Canucks etc also serving?)

But what I don't buy is the argument about "average military member makes less than his civilian counterpart". My wife is a professor with 13 years of education (ie highly trained professional) and she makes less than the guy who runs my performance reports who's 30 years' old. Professors / teachers, many professions make less than someone in industry, and they also serve the community in educating the population, for e.g. They don't benefit from any discounts. I have a mate who is at Ft Riley, KS, and he makes more than my wife and has never been deployed 'in country'.

Again: I state, I am NOT attacking the MIL sales' program. Merely rebutting this "lower relative income = right to discount" argument.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 01-12-2008 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0