BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
How much is a decent quote for a professional job? Basic coating, old garage from 1998. Not climate controlled.
It depends on sq. footage and what coating you're going with. I'd find someone locally who can provide you with a portfolio. My dad ended up going with a guy who has done many garages at the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL. The coating he chose wasn't specifically designed to be used without a vapor barrier, which is how the old half of the garage was built.

A basic coating should be a two part process. The first step is to rough up the concrete with a diamond grinder to give the epoxy something to grab onto. Then they will mix the epoxy with whatever solids are specified in your coating finish - the solids are what gives the floor its texture, and it's up to you to decide on how fine (none) or coarse (many) you'd like. For a pure park and show environment, without much inclement weather (read: snow) I would go with a fine texture to make it look like a showroom. If you live in a climate that sees snow, or do a lot of work, you'd probably like something that gives some texture - but too coarse can be uncomfortable to work on, given the odd positions we often find ourselves in working on cars.

Find someone with good credentials, tell them what use you are looking for, and they should be able to advise you with their products. A good flooring should come with a 5-10yr warranty, given you have a vapor barrier (and the contractor would most likely want to confirm this). As far as contracting goes, people love to shop price. As someone who works for a more expensive mechanical contracting firm, just trust me - you get what you pay for. I wish I kept track of how many times someone called and said "so and so company was out here and now it's doing this..."

PS: In case someone is out there building a garage, and hasn't caught the jist of my posts....PUT IN A VAPOR BARRIER! DO IT! IT'S CHEAP AND MAKES FUTURE LIFE MUCH EASIER!
Appreciate 0