Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Absolute drivel and false.

Porsches and BMW are both built for some pretty hard track use and abuse. Obviously with Porsche generally speaking exceeding BMW in this particular area. As well both companies will cover you under warranty when using the car on the track. Hell the M3 manual even tells you how to prepare for track driving and as long as it is not competitive you are covered. I can post the quote from the manual if you care to see it. BMW will even cover pads and rotors based on track use. However, most realize it is not a legitimate thing to request of BMW.

It is cheating if all cars are delivered with the same factory adjustments/settings to the suspension and then the car is adjusted differently and the car is claimed to be "showroom stock".

I disagree with other points you've made as well in your last couple of posts but the first above was the real glaring error and you basically stated it twice.
Drivel now? I love this forum. It's full of the most obnoxious people I've come across in all my years online. I've yet to find so many people that are incapable of disagreeing without some form of abuse thrown in. Proves what I've said for years about M3 drivers and BMW drivers in general though so no surprises there. Did I say "They won't cover your warranty you idiot"??? No. I just stated what I wanted to and that was it. Like a civilised human being. I guess I was stupid to expect the same back.

When I talk about a track day I mean a real one where you go an drive like it is a race. Otherwise it's just a Sunday drive with no speed limits. Go check out a few magazine and internet track tests of the M3. Once the track has a few corners the brakes fall off after only 2 or 3 laps. Not exactly track designed there now is it? Also, if you think our standard M3's are designed to take full track abuse then all the best with that. I hope you don't find out the hard way that they aren't. A GT3 will be much better able to cope with demands of a track day but it's still a road car in highly tuned form so it's already under stress. If I spent the money on one I'd definitely do a track day or two (you'd have to really) but that would be it.

As for warranty. I don't believe for one second that if you blow your gearbox and head back to BMW and tell them you were driving the nuts off it on your 10th track day that they won't laugh you out of the showroom. I will believe it if I see proof. Of course even if I get proof I could still go the route of this thread and say the proof is false and even though I see it I don't believe it.

It is not cheating if the alterations that were made can be made by any owner on any showroom car. You said yourself that BMW tell you how to set the car up for track. Do you not think they did that for their ring timing run??

I'm not familiar with the new GT3 but I would put money on it that if the suspension is adjustable that they adjusted it to suit the track before they did their timing run.
Appreciate 0