View Single Post
      09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #35
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Well, opinionated as you are, I have to agree with you on this one, even if my opinion doesn't really count because I drive my car with the steering wheel on the wrong side!

The paddle change is so much more involving, as it allows you to keep your hands on the wheel, right at the heart of the action. If you're blasting along a country road, or throwing the car around a track, it makes much more sense to be able to change up and down the box without taking your hands off the wheel. Changes are faster, often smoother and, as you say point out, it's warranted if anything goes wrong.

I think I'll probably delay delivery of my next M3 until the new DCT box comes along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
What's up with all you guys defecting from M-DCT to manual? Granted I've never owned an automagic/chicktronic tranny in my entire driving career BUT.... the M3's character just doesn't jive with a manual tranny!

Don't be scared off by possible bugs. That's what a warranty is for. BTW, I have been feeling the same way as you guys.... "maybe I should stick with stick" ... but... the manual in my now-departed Z4 M Coupe was the most artificial-feeling, unsatisfying manual transmission I've ever owned. It was a PITA, even after I removed the clutch delay valve. Which is why I wouldn't risk getting a MANUAL in the M3! The clutch had no feeling, it was just like an in-out lever. The shifter felt light, flimsy, yet notchy. It just sucked IMO. I won't buy another "modern day" BMW manual tranny. They have softened it up to the point it is just a lever for changing gears with a pedal attached to keep your left foot entertained (and being ADD myself, my left foot is going to protest my M-DCT choice, but I digress...)

In sum, IMO (of which I have many) don't let POTENTIAL bugs scare you away from M-DCT if that's what you'd rather have.

LA AUTO SHOW US PREMIERE FTW!
Appreciate 0