View Single Post
      02-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Assuming you're dropping your clutch at 5,500 RPM (or the same rev as launch control), the only difference is that the 6MT won't shift for you. Other than that, there should be no difference, as all traction control nannies need to be off for LC to be active.
I have disagree with you on this one, aajami. Although you must turn off DSC to activate LC, once you do activate LC, I believe it retakes control of the traction control system and runs its own special program to help you get a good launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I would imagine since launch control for all intents and purposes is a computer driven operation, it's a little easier on the drivetrain and related components. I believe your gonna burn out a clutch on hard launches before you wear out a DCT completely. A hard launch in a manual is a much less precise operation therefore goodbye clutch faster. Of course my opinions have no basis in fact, as usual.
I don't have facts either - but I agree with what you are saying.

I don't have time to look it up, but, I believe that there is some details about how LC works in either the original M-DCT press material or the M3 aftersales material provided to technicians. My recollection is that there is a lot going on with the ECU in order to provide maximum acceleration. Of course, as we know, it doesn't always necessarily work out as you might hope.
Appreciate 0